Thursday 28 May 2015

Lifestyle | Tattoos; Let's lose the stigma!


Tattoos. You either love them, or judge people for making unwise life decisions who decide to permenantly scar their body with ink.

Okay, that may be a bit harsh, but people get so judgey when you tell them you have tattoos, am I right?

It's getting to that time of year when the suns coming out, you're wearing less clothing, and people are suddenly hideously aware of the fact that you have a tattoo... Let the judging commence!

I love tattoos. And if I had the time and money i'd have many more than I already do... I only have 2 but still, I like to think i'm pretty hardcore.

What gets me though is people's reactions when they find out you have a tattoo. 

~ You'll never get a proper job
~ You'll regret it when you're older
~ You know it's permanant right?

Let me start off by saying that anyone who is unaware that a tattoo is permanant probably shouldn't be getting one in the first place...

~ You'll never get a proper job

Define 'Proper Job'. I have a 'proper job'. My tattoos in no way affect my ability to do this job. 'Oh Emily can you fill out this response form for me?' Well you know, I've got a tattoo so i don't really think I can...
My sister is a nurse. She has a tattoo. In fact she has a massive tattoo all the way down her leg. If your Grandma, or loved one, was in cardiac arrest, how likely is it that someone will turn to my sister and say 'actually excuse me, you can't do that because you have a tattoo. You shouldn't be allowed to do this job'. Bye bye Grandma!
My mum's aneasthetist had two full sleeves. Both of his arms, covered in tattoos. But I'm sure people would much rather stay awake through surgery because clearly he can't do the job 'properly' because of his tattoos.

Ridiculous, right?

~ You'll regret it when you're older

And? If I regret it when i'm older, I regret it. As of right now, I don't. Each of my tattoos have a meaning, so I personally see no reason as to why I would. So i'm going to get old and wrinkly, i'll just be old and wrinkly, with tattoos. Luckily, that's no one elses problem!

I thought we were past the times when people were being judged for doing something they had every right to do. If you don't like tattoos, don't get one! It's like being mad at someone for eating a doughnut when you're on a diet. Pointless.

No comments:

Post a Comment